David Skyrme Associates offers a variety of presentations and workshops that can be tailored to meet your needs. This
page describes an example of a workshop focussed on the use the Internet as a strategic marketing and business tool.
The impact of the Internet on organizations is profound. The growth of Internet use and the success of new ecommerce businesses means that no organization can fail to ignore the implications of
these developments. Unfortunately many organization, eager to jump onto the rolling bandwagon, abrogate many of the strategic business decisions to their web development teams or outside agencies.
This workshop provides the essential knowledge to make your Internet and intranet add value to and closely integrate with your business. It is aimed at senior managers, Internet and intranet project
managers, marketing managers, knowledge professionals, business development managers and any others who are concerned about maximizing the potential of the Internet for strategic advantage.
On completing this workshop you will be able to:
- Identify the different ways of using the Internet and intranet to enhance organizational performance
- Understand the difference between the different modes of iInternet use, including 'push' and 'pull'
- Analyze your own situation, including the opportunities and threats
- Develop Internet strategies to support business needs and create new opportunities
- Evaluate your needs in terms of external products and services and internal capabilities
- Take account of success factors and the pitfalls to avoid
See also the list of wider benefits you can expect from attending this workshop.
There is no shortage of public seminars and workshops on the Internet and intranets. Generally these are of two types - 1) the seminar where delegates are exposed to a variety of speakers
describing their experiences and 2) the hands-on 'how to get connected' technicalities. While each has their place, the workshop we have developed is aimed at helping you with those aspects more
central to effective Internet strategies by focusing on:
- Strategy - Why do we want an Internet? How does it contribute to our business objectives?
- Marketing - How does the Internet help marketing?
- Operations - What other business opportunities can the Internet give us?
- Practicalities - What are the characteristics of a good web site? What standards should we use? Who should be involved in implementation? How do we select suppliers?
- Specific Needs - What is relevant to our situation? What about ongoing resourcing?
This workshops allow participants to apply the concepts learnt to their own organizational situation, through a carefully designed set of learning cycles, each consisting of three parts:
- Concepts - presentation of key theory and frameworks
- Practice - small group exercises addressing key questions and choices
- Review and questions - plenary session to draw out and share key learnings, and to address areas that need further clarification.
- Internet, Intranets and Extranets
- Evolution - Four phases of the Internet
- Five Models of Interaction
- Benefits - Sources of Value
- Cases of Success and Failure
- Our Internet Status and Potential (exercise)
- Strategy Assessment
- Business Objectives
- Alignment of Options - Choices
- Maturity Curves - Ascertaining position on IT, Internet, information and knowledge curves
- Levels of Exploitation - from cost saving to creating new businesses
- Levers of Success
- The Publishing Model
- Five ways to find information
- Aligning to user needs
- Finding intermediate connections
- Developing cost-effective strategies
- The Community Model
- Relationship Marketing
- Internet tools that help
- Network building
- Transaction Models
- Web-enabled applications
- Payment methods
- The sales/fulfilment cycle
- Whose handling the transaction?
- Which Models Where? (exercise)
- Effective Web-Sites
- Key Ingredients
- The information architecture
- Views and Lenses
- Ownership and Updating
- Value Enhancers
- The Bottom Line (exercise)
- Marketing and Business Models
- What's the same? What changes?
- The 8Ps of Internet Marketing
- Push vs. Pull
- Making the Case (exercise)
- Effective Implementation Strategies
- Technical factors - standards
- Content management - authority and release processes
- Organizational alignment - business processes, resourcing
- Engaging the customer
- The good, the bad and the ugly - lessons from the leaders and laggards
- Action Planning
- Review of needs and priorities
- Current assessment - from earlier exercises
- Options for progress
- Criteria for selection
- Next steps planning (review and exercise)
This workshop is customized for each client and is developed from our evolving set of structured modules. It is often a good introduction to our style of Internet / Intranet Strategy Consulting. It is available in two main formats:
- Half day executive seminar - with opportunity for group discussion on winning strategies
- Full day workshop - with hands-on experience.
To discuss your specific requirements in further detail please contact our principal consultant David Skyrme. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Tel: +44 1635 25 35 45.
Related Workshops and Services:
Read what clients have said about our workshops.