David Skyrme Associates offers a variety of presentations and workshops that can be tailored to meet your needs. This
page describes an example of a workshop focussed on developing Knowledge Management Strategies. It provides a good focal point for strategy development by senior executives or a knowledge
With the growing importance of knowledge as a lever of business strategy, it is essential that organizations know how best to develop and apply knowledge-based strategies in order to achieve
bottom line business benefits. This particular workshop is intended for those who are planning and developing such strategies and knowledge management initiatives. It appeals both to line managers
and senior executives who develop organizational strategies, as well as members of a knowledge team responsible for implementing them. Participants will benefit from the way that this workshop
demonstrates the interdependencies between the contributions of different functions and disciplines.
On completing this workshop you will be able to:
- Understand the importance of knowledge management and the reasons for its current prominence in management thinking
- Learn the fundamental concepts of knowledge management and relate them to your own organization
- Identify knowledge levers that can give you a strategic advantage
- Assess the key processes of knowledge management and how to apply them in practice
- Relate existing practices within your organization to 'world class' practice, based on insights into the successful implementations of knowledge leaders
- Appreciate which factors contribute to success or failure of knowledge initiatives.
See also the list of wider benefits you can expect from attending this workshop.
This workshop provides participants with the essential knowledge to develop successful knowledge-based strategies by addressing these key challenges:
- Diagnosis - Where are we now? What are the business imperatives where knowledge can help?
- Concepts and Frameworks - Examples of frameworks and concepts that other KM practitioners have found useful.
- Strategy - What is our knowledge strategy? How should it be developed?
- Knowledge - What is our vital knowledge? How can we exploit and protect it?
- Framework for Action - What is the scope of our knowledge agenda? Which processes need to be developed?
- Best Practices - What are the most effective mechanisms for developing and sharing knowledge?
- Practice and Cases - Examples of what other companies are doing.
This workshops allow participants to apply the concepts learnt to their own organizational situation, through a carefully designed set of learning cycles, each consisting of three parts:
- Concepts - presentation of key theory and frameworks
- Practice - small group exercises addressing key questions and choices
- Review and questions - plenary session to draw out and share key learnings, and to address areas that need further clarification.
- The Momentum of Knowledge Management
- Why Knowledge, Why now?
- Fad or Fundamental?
- Roots of Knowledge Management
- The Business Benefits (short exercise)
- Key Concepts
- Knowledge is Different
- Knowledge Conversion Processes
- The Knowledge Spiral
- Types of Knowledge
- Vital Knowledge - where is it? (exercise)
- Knowledge Strategies
- The Essence of Knowledge Management
- Two Thrusts
- Seven Levers
- Developing a Knowledge Strategy (exercise)
- Knowledge Processes and Practice
- Two Knowledge Cycles
- The Innovation Cycle
- Creativity vs. Innovation
- The Management Cycle
- Knowledge Sharing Mechanisms
- The Contribution of Information Technology
- Which Processes are Working / Not Working? (exercise)
- A Framework for Action
- Enablers - culture, Structure, Leadership
- Levers - Processes, People, Space, Measurement
- Foundations - HR strategies, new roles and skills, ICT
- KM Assessment (exercise)
- Knowledge Management Practice
- The State of Practice - surveys
- Case Studies*
- Leaders and Laggards
- Critical Success Factors
- Triggers and Starting Points
- Action Planning
- Defining Our Agenda (exercise)
- Reflection and Review
- Next Steps
- Action Plans and Commitments
* In addition, case studies and examples of best practice will be interspersed throughout to illustrate the finer points of knowledge management practice.
This workshop is customized for each client and is developed from our evolving set of structured modules. It is often a good introduction to our style of strategic knowledge consulting. Typical formats for this workshop are:
- Half day executive seminar - with selected parts and discussion on general principles and winning strategies
- Full day workshop - with opportunities for more interaction and discussion. This is the minimum we recommend for a realistic understanding of the subject.
- As part of a 2-3 day workshop for knowledge management teams. This is a sensible format for teams of eight or more, and allows break-out sessions and serious development of plans to take
To discuss your specific requirements in further detail please contact our principal consultant David Skyrme. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Tel: +44 1635 25 35 45.
Related Workshops and Services:
Read what clients have said about our workshops.